The Cooper Family
The Cooper family originally hailed from the small townland of Loran, which is south of Roscrea, in County Tipperary, Ireland. They left their small farm in 1846, at the height of the potato famine. John and Mary traveled on the ship Symetry from Liverpool, England, along with their five children – John, James, Patrick, Michael and Maria. They may have had a contact in Medina, or they may have come here lured by the promise of work.
Sadly, John, the father, died in 1848. Mary married John Rogers in 1850 and settled with him at 227 West Center St., thus beginning the long Cooper association with the 200 block. John, James and Patrick moved to Rochester where they became successful druggists.
Michael remained in Medina where he became a successful businessman and property owner. He established a flourishing grocery store on Main Street and in 1867 purchased 216 West Center Street which is still the family home five generations later.
History Of The Funeral Home
In the later part of the 1870’s Daniel D. Holdredge operated the D.D. Holdredge Furniture & Undertaking Co., later known as Holdredge, Hartt & Hill Co. on the north end of Main Street in Medina. At that time, it was common practice for furniture dealers to also be involved in the funeral business. In addition, Mr. Holdredge trained to be an embalmer.
A successful businessman, he built the imposing home at 215 West Center St. in 1907 as his private residence. This fine Medina sandstone building is directly across the street from the Cooper home.
The timber used to build the home was salvaged from the Pan-American Exposition that took place in Buffalo in 1901.
The two white ionic columns on the front facade are believed to have been salvaged from the ‘New England Building’ at the Pan-Am Exposition.
The residence originally built by an undertaker in 1907 was ironically enough bought by another undertaker in 1987 when Timothy D. Cooper purchased the building and established the Cooper Funeral Home.
Mr. Holdredge sold the home in 1920 to Elmer Peck, who ran a rivet Manufacturing Co. in Medina. State Senator Irving L’Hommedieu, a local attorney bought the house in 1928. Later, William Smith operated a successful Photo Studio from the premises. Dr. Clayton H. Thomas purchased the property in 1943 and lived there for the next forty years. He also used the home as his doctor's office – many Medina residents still remember being treated there for eye, ear, nose & throat ailments.